Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Old places that once said "HOME"


A few weeks before Christmas, my sisters and I visited our hometown to celebrate the holiday with daddy. 

As we slowly drove down Main Street, I noticed many of the older homes were no longer standing and it made my  heart a little sad.

I sure wish I had taken pictures a few years ago of all those lovely houses that I remember so well and can still see only in my mind.

 I thought the big old house where the Williams family lived was such a lovely place. 

The two story gray house where the Haney family lived when I was growing up or the home of Mr.Razor as my daddy recalls in his day, it's been gone for years, but I still look for it when I come through town. 

The blue house on the corner, Ann and Splo Toy's two story house and the home of Sy and Sally Martin are just a few places that stand out in my mind.

Even though some of those houses have been gone for years, and some were torn down just a year of so ago I expect to see them when I visit my hometown.


The photo below is where my best friend, Missy Petitt's grandmother lived and was such a beautiful home in its day.  Missy and I spent many hours relaxing out on that front porch.

Most remember this house as the home of the late Jenny Petitt, she is the only person I know that ever lived there, but this old house has some history and was built a long, long, time ago.

The young man standing in the forefront is David Petitt, the son of Connie Leinberger Petitt and the great grandson of Jenny. Connie took this photo in Jan. 1985 and shared it with our readers on Sharpsburg of Yesteryear.

For the younger folks and new citizens of Sharpsburg, this house is no longer standing. 

A few years ago there was some kind of shop that occupied the building and not long ago it caught fire and was eventually torn down.

It was located on Main Street next to the little red brick(The Mexican Store or home) across the alley from the Citizens Bank.







In the 1880s this house was owned by  Mary Stephens, the widow of Joseph, both pioneers of Sharpsburg.

Mary and her daughter Emma Stephens Elgin and Mary's brother Henry lived in the house according to the 1880 census. 

I remember reading in my research a few years ago that Mary operated a boarding house here. 

Henry is listed in the census as a Grocery Merchant. 

Sealy and Nannie Peck are listed as servants. 

 Emma is widowed with a six year old son William. (Emma was married to Gano Elgin)

Will, as he was called by the towns people in the 1920s, was referred to as the town only recluse because he was said to have only come out of the house after dark. 

In his book "A Time Remembered" Woodson Knight described the house as being old, and was weathered and gray. 

Emma passed away at home on May 1, 1931 at the age of 77. 
Will continued to live in two upstairs rooms of the house until he died there on August 30, 1936. At that time John Flora and his family occupied the house.

Will Elgin was a first cousin to  Waller Sharp.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment